Wilfried Zaha’s participation in January’s Africa Cup of Nations is in doubt with the Crystal Palace forward said to be considering his international future after asking not to be included in Ivory Coast’s squad for this month’s World Cup qualifiers.
The 28-year-old, who made his debut in 2017 and has 21 caps, was not selected in Patrice Beaumelle’s squad to face Mozambique and Cameroon having informed him that he would remain in the UK.
“He asked not to come because he comes home sick after each meeting,” said Beaumelle as he unveiled his squad. “He wants to reflect on the rest of his international career.”
Zaha missed Palace’s draw against Arsenal last month because of illness after playing 74 minutes of the victory over Malawi in Abidjan. He returned as a substitute against Newcastle before scoring in Palace’s victory over Manchester City last Saturday.
He and about 40 other Premier League players are due to take part in January’s Afcon in Cameroon.