UK cases and deaths down on the previous day; variant now accounts for 73.3% of cases in Germany compared with 44.3% seven days ago
- Lower-income countries forced to reject vaccines
- Half of French primary schools to close as teachers strike
- France to lift ban on tourists from UK
- Boris Johnson cancels visit after family member tests positive for Covid
- Novak Djokovic included in Australian Open draw as visa call delayed
Daily coronavirus cases in Japan have exceeded 13,000 for the first time in more than four months, as the country confronts a sixth wave of infections driven by the Omicron variant.
It reported 13,244 new cases on Wednesday, including 2,198 in Tokyo and 1,711 in Osaka. The number of new infections in the Japanese capital was more than double that recorded the previous day and a fivefold increase from the same day the previous week.