Lifestyle

‘Reckless’ use of fireworks starts small blaze on New Plymouth’s Coastal Walkway


Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews were called to the Coastal Walkway, near the Kawaroa Park Squash Club, around 9.15pm on Saturday. (File photo)

SIMON O’CONNOR/Stuff

Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews were called to the Coastal Walkway, near the Kawaroa Park Squash Club, around 9.15pm on Saturday. (File photo)

Quick thinking by a New Plymouth squash club’s members helped save their deck after fireworks started a blaze in long grass.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand crews were called to the Coastal Walkway, near the Kawaroa Park Squash Club, around 9.15pm on Saturday.

New Plymouth senior station officer Jason Crowe said someone had “recklessly” set off fireworks in the long grass between the clubrooms and walkway.

This was a reminder for people to use fireworks safely, New Plymouth senior station officer Jason Crowe said.

SIMON O’CONNOR/Stuff

This was a reminder for people to use fireworks safely, New Plymouth senior station officer Jason Crowe said.

Crowe said luckily there were still some members in the building. They grabbed a hose and started putting out the fire while calling for assistance.

READ MORE:
* Fireworks shot at police in ‘moronic’ act by young men in Dunedin
* More intimate Diwali still provides themes of hope and unity
* Taranaki man with serious burns flown to Waikato Hospital

When crews arrived, it took about 10 minutes to extinguish the small fire.

“This is a reminder not to light fireworks in public places,” Crowe said. “We want people to be using them safely.”

He said firework safety advice can be found on the Fire and Emergency New Zealand website.

The incident was one of three in Taranaki on Bonfire night.

Crowe said the other two were “minor”: one involved a tree on a private New Plymouth property, and the other was a fire on a Waitara beach.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close