News

Queen Elizabeth II reluctantly accepts medical advice to rest for a few days Buckingham Palace says


Buckingham Palace says Queen Elizabeth II has reluctantly accepted medical advice to rest for a few days and has cancelled a trip to Northern Ireland.

The palace did not offer specifics on the decision.

It said the 95-year-old monarch is “in good spirits and is disappointed that she will no longer be able to visit Northern Ireland, where she had been due to undertake a series of engagements today and tomorrow”.

The 95-year-old monarch is said to be "in good spirits".
The 95-year-old monarch is said to be “in good spirits”. (AP)

The palace added that she “sends her warmest good wishes to the people of Northern Ireland, and looks forward to visiting in the future”.

CNN reports that a source close to the palace has said the medical issue is “not COVID related”.

ITV News Royal Editor Chris Ship also tweeted saying he had been advised it was not related to coronavirus.

“We are told there is ‘no cause for alarm’ about the Queen’s health and she was seen as recently as last night at a reception at Windsor Castle for the Global Investment Summit,” Ship said.

The decision comes just days after the Queen was seen using a walking stick at a major public event when attending a Westminster Abbey service marking the centenary of the Royal British Legion, an armed forces charity.

She had previously been photographed using a cane in 2003, but that was after she underwent knee surgery.

The queen, whose husband Prince Philip died earlier this year, still keeps a busy schedule of royal duties.

On Tuesday, she held audiences with diplomats and hosted a reception at Windsor Castle for global business leaders.

Queen Elizabeth, Princess Anne
Her Majesty The Queen was seen using a walking cane hen attending a Westminster Abbey service. Picture Arthur Edwards (Getty)

Despite her great age, the monarch has politely declined the honour of being named “Oldie of the Year” by a British magazine.

The Oldie magazine on Tuesday published the Queen’s response to its suggestion that she follow in the footsteps of former recipients, such as actor Olivia de Havilland and artist David Hockney.

“Her Majesty believes you are as old as you feel, as such The Queen does not believe she meets the relevant criteria to be able to accept, and hopes you will find a more worthy recipient,” said a letter from her assistant private secretary, Tom Laing-Baker.

Earthshot Prize Awards Ceremony

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at eco awards night

He ended the letter “with Her Majesty’s warmest best wishes”.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

close