Parramatta Eels hooker Reed Mahoney has proven that he’s just as devastating off the footy field as he is on it.
Mahoney fired back at Parramatta teammate Mitchell Moses after the halfback took a swipe at him on Instagram.
Kayo is your ticket to the best local and international sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Start Your Free Trial >
Mahoney, who missed the last month of the NRL regular season and the finals series through injury, posted a photo from an outdoor training session on Saturday.
Moses spied an opportunity to have a dig at his teammate, writing: “Can we get a week to week post with your rig out so we can see the progression from your injury? All the best mate go parra”.
Mahoney wasn’t about to let Moses get away with the jab, though, punching back to hilarious effect.
“Hey Mitch no worries mate, if you can keep practicing your goal kicking as our team would like to go up in 6s next year not 4s cheers,” he quipped.
Moses had one of the best seasons of his career in 2021, earning selection in the NSW State of Origin team for the first time, but his goalkicking remained a weak point in his game.
He kicked at only 75% accuracy in 2021, the 23rd-best goalkicking percentage for a kicker who scored more than 10 goals.
Notably, Parramatta went down to local rivals and eventual premiers Penrith in round 16 after Moses missed a long-range penalty goal attempt as the siren sounded that would have won his side the game.
Clearly Moses could see the funny side of Mahoney’s comment, though.
Mahoney’s playing future has been the subject of much speculation since the conclusion of the 2021 season.
Given his Parramatta contract runs out at the end of next year, Mahoney is permitted to negotiate with rival clubs for the 2023 season from November 1.
The Nambour-born number nine has been linked with a move to the Dolphins, who will enter the competition as the league’s fourth Queensland franchise from 2023.
If he ended up at the club, Mahoney could be joined by Eels teammate Reagan Campbell-Gillard, whose management told News Corp earlier this month that he would not activate his player option to remain at Parramatta in 2023.
“We will go to the open market and clubs will want to speak to us come November 1, which brings a second Brisbane team into the equation,” the prop’s management said.
“He would certainly entertain being the face of a new Brisbane franchise.”