News

Novak Djokovic to face probe from Spain’s authorities into his travel itinerary


Novak Djokovic is facing investigation by another national government after Spain announced it was opening a probe into the Serbian’s travel itinerary.

Spain has opened an investigation into Novak Djokovic’s travel into the country, local media announced on Thursday.

The investigation comes after it was revealed early this week that Djokovic travelled to Spain without a vaccination certificate or exemption in December and early January.

News of the probe was reported on Thursday by popular radio station Cadena de Ondas Populares Españolas and other media outlets.

Stream the latest news on COVID-19 with Flash. Stream more than 20 global & local news sources. New to Flash? Try 14 days free now

The radio station confirmed Spain’s Ministry of the Interior and Ministry of Foreign Affairs have ordered police and immigration authorities to investigate Djokovic’s travels.

It is believed Djokovic did not request any special permission or exemption from the Spanish Embassy in Belgrade or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to enter the country.

Spanish media reported Djokovic travelled to Belgrade on Christmas Day before jetting off to Marbella in Spain on December 31 and again on January 2 and 3.

Spain’s announcement adds to Djokovic’s problems after it emerged earlier this week that he had stated on his immigration forms at the Australian border that he had not travelled to any other country in the 14 days prior to his arrival, despite the trips to Spain and Serbia. 

On Thursday, he released a statement saying his travel declaration was filled out by a member of his “support team” and blamed the failure to tick the correct box was due to  “human error” as a result of “living in challenging times in a global pandemic”.

Djokovic also addressed media reports that he attended several events in Belgrade – including one with children – after testing positive for COVID-19.

“I attended a basketball game in Belgrade on 14 December after which it was reported that a number of people tested positive with COVID-19.

“Despite having no COVID symptoms, I took a rapid antigen test on 16 December which was negative, and out of an abundance of caution, also took an official and approved PCR test on that same day.

“The next day I attended a tennis event in Belgrade to present awards to children and took a rapid antigen test before going to the event, and it was negative.

“I was asymptomatic and felt good, and I had not received the notification of a positive PCR test result until after that event,” the statement says.

Djokovic said he then attended a L’Equipe interview and photoshoot the next day – December 18- because he did not want to let “the journalist down”.

“While I went home after the interview to isolate for the required period, on reflection, this was an error of judgement and I accept that I should have rescheduled this commitment.”



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *