Man City held by Southampton, Rashford lifts Man Utd into fourth

Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford (C) celebrates his winner against West Ham

Aymeric Laporte spared Manchester City’s blushes as the Premier League leaders were held to a 1-1 draw at Southampton, while Manchester United moved into fourth place after Marcus Rashford’s last-gasp goal sealed a 1-0 win against West Ham on Saturday.

City were rocked by Kyle Walker-Peters’ first ever top-flight goal in the opening minutes.

Spain defender Laporte headed the equaliser, but City could not extend their winning streak in a one-sided finale that saw the visitors lay seige to the Southampton goal.

Read Next

For the first time since they were beaten 2-0 by Palace on October 30, City finished a league game without all three points.

“People will say the Premier League race is not over, but that is good for this side.”

Edinson Cavani crossed for fellow substitute Rashford to score his second goal in successive games.

It was a crucial victory for United in their fight to qualify for next season’s Champions League via a top-four finish.

Tottenham and Arsenal would both go back above United if they win their matches on Sunday against Chelsea and Burnley respectively.

“Bearing in mind we played a few days ago against Brentford, the team looked physically good.”

Jonjo Shelvey’s second-half free-kick clinched third-bottom Newcastle’s much-needed 1-0 win at Leeds.

Newcastle were under pressure for long spells but they held on to climb to within a point of safety with a game in hand on fourth-bottom Norwich.

Everton’s change of management did not result in a change of fortunes as Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard enjoyed a winning return to Merseyside with a 1-0 victory at Goodison Park.

Duncan Ferguson took temporary charge of Everton following the sacking of Rafael Benitez last weekend after a run of just one win in 13 league games.

But he could not replicate that success as former Liverpool captain Gerrard got one over on his old rivals.

Both teams had to leave the pitch after what was announced as an “unofficial drone” hovered above the stadium, with confused Wolves captain Conor Coady, asking referee Peter Bankes “what’s happening”.

Joao Moutinho’s curler put Wolves ahead four minutes into the second half before Ivan Toney equalised with a 71st-minute volley.


Read Next

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.