Invercargill man used sickle in burglary and assault of former partner

In the Invercargill District Court on Friday, a Southland man was jailed for 23 months for assault and burglary charges.

Kavinda Herath/Stuff

In the Invercargill District Court on Friday, a Southland man was jailed for 23 months for assault and burglary charges.

A Southland man used a sickle to burglarise and assault a former partner who had sought a protection order against him.

Arthur John Waihape, 55, admitted two charges of assault on a person in a family relationship, male assaults female, burglary with a weapon and assault with a blunt instrument, for offending which happened in Invercargill on April 9, 2021.

Judge Jim​ Large​ sentenced Waihape to 23 months prison, with leave to apply for home detention, when he appeared in the Invercargill District Court on Friday.

A police summary of facts says a former partner got a temporary protection order against Waihape the day before the incident, but it had not yet been served to him.

* Australian deportee inflicts ‘domestic terrorism’ on partner
* Southland man jailed for sending naked photo to ex’s partner and harassment
* Blenheim man uses Taser on his ex-partner twice to ‘teach her a lesson’

On April 9, Waihape went to her house but was told to leave. Later that day he returned, and the former partner’s daughter saw Waihape’s car, before he grabbed the sickle or machete type tool and went to the front door, it says in the summary.

Waihape hit the woman in the chest with the metal blade of the tool and hit her in the head with his fist, before her daughter punched him, and they fell onto a glass coffee table, it says in the summary.

The former partner hit Waihape in the head with the glass pane and a wood carving while he assaulted the younger woman, and he eventually got up to leave.

He threw the sickle onto the porch as he left, but the former partner picked it up and struck Waihape on the forearm, causing a cut. He then assaulted her by striking her windpipe, it says in the summary.

He eventually left. When he was arrested the protection order was served, and he declined to speak to police.

Defence lawyer Fergus More said Waihape could not handle the relationship breakdown.

He was a good grandfather and remorseful for his actions, More said.

Waihape was raised in a nurturing environment until he was 15, and for the next 40 years he had a lifestyle he could not “extricate” himself from, More said, which involved drugs and alcohol.

Judge Large reduced Waihape’s sentence in light of a cultural report which found intergenerational deprivation.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *