News

Bone found in Kendall search for William Tyrrell


Investigators will soon finish their renewed search for William Tyrrell at this Kendall site. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Peter Lorimer
Investigators will soon finish their renewed search for William Tyrrell at this Kendall site. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Peter Lorimer

A bone fragment has been found during the renewed search for missing toddler William Tyrrell.

NSW Police told NCA NewsWire on Wednesday the bone had been sent for testing and it was not yet confirmed whether it was human remains or an animal.

The spokesperson also said media reports that the search had wrapped up were false but added officers would finish up at the site this week.

Read Next

Police officers and emergency services personnel have spent about one month scouring bushland and waterways near Kendall in the NSW mid-north coast.

Three-year-old William was last seen wearing a Spider-Man suit outside his late foster grandmother’s Benaroon Drive home on September 19, 2014.

Authorities have spent the past month searching bushland and waterways for William Tyrrell’s remains. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Peter Lorimer
Authorities have spent the past month searching bushland and waterways for William Tyrrell’s remains. Picture: NCA NewsWire/Peter Lorimer

The renewed search began on November 15, with the aim of finding the boy’s remains.

Officers from strike Force Rosann have been investigating multiple theories including one that William may have fallen from a balcony at his foster grandmother’s property.

During the extensive probe, police dug up the garden at the property, examined a concrete slab and drained a nearby creek.

Forensic experts have been helping with the search, including hydrologist Jon Olley and forensic archaeologist Tony Lowe.

But over the past fortnight, the search effort was hindered by heavy rain and storms.

Detective Chief Superintendent Darren Bennett conceded last month that authorities “couldn’t have picked a worse time” in terms of weather to be conducting the search.

He also said the decision to revive the search was made “in response to evidence we have obtained over the course of the investigation” and was “not speculative in any way”.

Some cloth pieces and other items were collected during the thorough search.

A car belonging to William’s foster grandmother was also seized.

Police said on Tuesday that forensic examinations continued on seized items and a significant quantity of soil taken from the search site.

“Inquiries and search operations being undertaken in the Kendall area are expected to be completed in coming days,” a statement read.

“Once the search operation is complete, a team will facilitate a repatriation of the site.

“Forensic examinations of seized items and a significant quantity of soil remain ongoing.”

New evidence is expected to be put during a coronial inquest.

Meanwhile, a rake signed by the search team has been erected at the site, which is less than 1km from where the young boy was last seen.

“We will never give up,” a message on the handle read.

William has never been found despite years of detective work, the identification of hundreds of people of interest and a $1m reward for information.

Police say they remain committed to finding William’s remains.

Sydney

Angie Raphael has almost two decades of experience as a journalist. Angie began her career in regional and community newspapers, then worked at the Australian Associated Press for 10 years before joining NCA Ne… Read more

Read Next





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *